Sunday, February 27, 2011

Eat Lao Food

When travelling abroad, one of the things that I am excited to know and to taste is  their native FOOD! Not only because I love to eat, but also it is one good way of looking at their culture. What's more, it would prepare me if it is not good on my sight.

Sticky rice with gilangal and fish sauce
In Laos, I found out that they are cooking and eating ant eggs, dogs, cats, snakes, and grasshoppers. A Laotian main dish is a sticky rice steamed in a bamboo basket that contains blue ginger and fish sauce. Accordingly, their national dish is a raw spicy marinated meat sometimes fish. They will mixed it with herbs, greens, and spices. They call this national dish as laap.                                                                  
beef laap















Most of the time, Laotians eat together. They served other foods besides laap and sticky rice like soup, grilled meat, stew, or greens.In addition,accordingly, Laotians sip their soup all throughout the meal rather than drinking their water. It it a custom for them to close the basket of rice to show that eating is already finished.

 I don't really know what to comment about their food. Maybe its just that I don't want to give a bad impression about it that may offend Lao people. I don't like eating spicy food but I think its quite interesting to mix fish sauce on a rice and put a ginger on it. Surely, when I will be given a chance to taste their food, I would be glad to do so. I want to give it a try -- to have a taste  and appreciate the food that makes them happy and satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment